Monday 30 April 2018

Celebrating the 26th of April - at Angelina's!


Angelina is much discussed in the internet, because apparently they serve one of the best hot chocolates in the world.  Anyway, in Paris.

Unfortunately this leaked out a few years ago, and it is practically impossible to get in on the weekend, which is when I am in Paris.  The queues snake around the block several times, and I am not prepared to wait for hours for even the best hot chocolate ever.

However, just to throw a spanner in the works of fate, last week I went on a weekday.  My friend the Goth and I first went to my club for a nice poolside lunch (she changed clothes before we entered), and then meandered about, thinking of maybe dripping into the Louvre or something.

And what did I see as we trickled down the Rue de Rivoli?  A totally queueless Angelina!!!!   Well, almost queueless, there were maybe half a dozen people waiting.  We immediately joined that tiny little queue, and within ten minutes had a table.

The hot chocolate really is very good!  Not too sweet, served with lots of whipped cream.  Delicious.

I took lots of photos inside, because somehow I don't think I am going to get this lucky ever again!


Outside of Angelina, Rue de Rivoli



Inside looking up from the entrance


There is a shop that sells chocolate and cakes as well

Inside the restaurant, founded in 1903



Let the feast begin!

A adores hot chocolate even more than I do

Lemon tart - very nice

The hot chocolate comes in this pitcher - if it came in a pot with a lid it would stay hot longer!

Served with lots - and I mean lots! - of whipped cream

Scraping out every last drop

From the upstairs

Strangely the upstairs area is completely empty of customers - if they served here, too, the queues would be much shorter!






The queue got a little longer while we were inside - view from he upstairs loo

Having had our fill of chocolate, we went across the street to the Jardin des Tuileries to admire the goats - not sure what they were doing there.  Luckily there was a moat that separated them from me.  I distrust goats, but they can be quite delicious, especially when young.  I suspect that's why they are so ornery.

Here it is again.

Weather was changeable, we had some decent sunshine, and sat in a chair to digest.