Monday 11 December 2017

Visit to Hamburg - Übersee-Club Hamburg


One of the joys of club membership is that there are corresponding clubs all over the world, and whenever I travel I try to visit at least one of them.  Sadly, most of them don't have hotel facilities, like the Oxford and Cambridge Club, otherwise I could have just hoped into a cab and sought refuge there when I first arrived in Hamburg!

This particular club is called the Übersee-Club, and is dedicated to "fostering Hamburg's status in the world".  It certainly was a hit with my aunt and cousin and myself when we visited it for lunch during my Hamburg visit.

The food was excellent of course, but nevertheless dwarfed into insignificance when compared to the ministrations of the Master of Wardrobes, Bernd Huellenkremer Esq, a gentleman to his fingertips and credit to the Hansestadt.  It is worth visiting the Club just to meet this jewel among men, and I do hope the Club manages to hang onto him for a few more decades yet - down with retirement!

The upstairs consists of a number of dedicated dining rooms, but downstairs looks more like a regular gentleman's club, and one can have drinks and snacks sitting in comfortable leather chairs, overlooking the Alster (a large lake at the centre of the city), and basking in the absence of Hauptbahnhof trolls.

But let the photos speak for themselves!












 



The outside of the club

The Alster



Plaque on the outside of the club




Little Christmas market near the Alster

An entire shop dedicated to Nivea!