Monday 25 December 2017

Christmas Eve ....

The star in action

Photos, we want photos, rang out the cry of the uproarious crowds .....

Well, who am I to argue?  I thought it might be a bit boring, seeing as I stick to my old Christmas decorations like a conscientious leach, and my parlour looks pretty much the same every Christmas, but there it is, the masses have spoken, nay commanded, and I am nothing if not obliging, towards my reading public.

I can report, happily, that two new decorations have been added to my stockpile this year, to wit, the hanging pyramid, propelled by candles, going around fast enough to make one quite dizzy, if all six of them are kindled, and the aforementioned Herrnhuter Star, spreading a warm glow for the neighbourhood, in the hour of dusk, before the lamps are lit.

Also, the Christmas Tree, usually positioned in front of the window, has this time been placed onto the table in the middle of the room - it was newly purchased a week ago and still is rather tiny, and I thought that looking down, rather than up, at it, might create the visual illusion of it being larger than it actually is. 

[Regular readers of this blog know that I buy little trees in pots, which I re-pot and keep thusly in the garden for several seasons in a row, until they indicate by their dropping of needles and increasingly unmanageable size that the time for planting them in the garden's welcoming soil has finally arrived.]

So I can offer you at least these few changes to my Christmas routine.

Enjoy the resulting still-lives, if you can!