Sunday 8 October 2017

The Door Project - Part 6: Adding the Panes and Hanging It

All done - ish ....

Well, I spent another weekend on the Door Project.  But I am not complaining - I am almost done, that is, if I can control my perfectionist instincts.

The thing is, the new door is head and shoulders above the old door - but it isn't quite right.  For example, one side of the frame has moved a little since it was built 30 years ago, so my perfectly proportioned door is a few millimeters too narrow for the door gap on the top right hand side; I will probably add a piece of plywood to reduce the gap.

Another problem is the remains of the previous door, which I couldn't completely pry off the frame, and which constricts the movement of the current door somewhat.  But I didn't have time to yank it off since it was getting dark and the new door had to be installed - one has to be sensible about timings.  Anyway, the door fits pretty well and can open about halfway, so is perfectly servicable for the time being.

Right.  I laboured much of the previous weekend attaching the plexi-glass panels.  Not as easy as I had hoped - they don't attach as well as I had hoped, but curved about disgracefully.  I may add a thin rail around them to ensure that the panels are completely waterproof.  My cunning plan of bridging the gap with paint didn't work - too much movement.  Never mind, the rails once added can be painted a different colour - red? - and will look like a special feature and improve the overall appearance of the door.

Now that the Door Project is almost complete, I cannot honestly say whether ti was all worth it - it was a hell of a lot of work, and counting all the tools and whatnot wasn't cheap, either.  On the other hand I now have access to my garden again, and didn't have to get irritated by incompetent handymen who would almost certainly have charged me a fortune, ruined the carpet, and settled me with a wonky door. 

So right now I am contemplating my assorted blisters and aching muscles, and suspending judgement....

'Course, there are all sorts of similar jobs that need doing around the house, painting the front door and grouting and painting the windows, and refurbishing the Mouserleum ...  Well, at least now I have my little workshop, and a few good tools!

Watch this blog for other riveting D-I-Y jobs!

In due course ...

Like Christmas ...

Door frame with plexi-glass panels

Close up


Adding paint under the panel to bond to the frame - didn't work!


Old door almost dismembered - the top to bottom plank on the left hand side didn't come off!

The bottom plank came off last

The garden is a total mess

Bolt and handle attached - door open, thus the gap on top

Door in place - one or two millimeter space all around, to allow ease of movement

Bolt and handle