Saturday 26 October 2013

Second-Hand Books Heaven in Paris – Shakespeare & Co

Inside of Shakespeare & Co, looking at Notre Dame

During my recent visit to Paris I met with a friend in front of Shakespeare & Company, the most amazing bookshop anywhere (except for Powells in Portland, Oregon, obviously!).  It is the sort of bookshop we used to have in Oxford but have since lost.  Rents are just too high, and people seem to prefer to buy books on-line.  Personally I love the romance of second hand books, the way they handle, the slightly musty smell, the notes scribbled on the margins by previous owners – I used to spend entire days in second-hand bookshops! Looking at new books just isn’t the same, so since the grand old bookshop near the train station closed all the book-shopping I ever do is a quick nip in and out of the Oxfam shop.



Same view higher up

Apparently in Paris bookshops are subsidised, they are such a tourist attraction!  One would have thought that Oxford would do the same thing, but no such luck.  So I have to top up my book supplies whenever I am in Paris.  Oh, did I mention that most of the books are in English?  The bookshop is famous for letting aspiring writers sleep in the shop in exchange for helping to run it.  Scattered throughout the shop are thinly disguised beds, typewriters (yes, real ones, not PCs) and even a piano.  While I showed my friend around a tourist from Japan played on the piano, and very good she was, too.


Close up view of Notre Dame, from same vantage point
 
After checking out the bookshop we drifted down the river until we happened upon a rather amazing museum.  It is amazing in the sense that it has a roof terrace where you can have a drink and take in the view of Paris from the 14rth floor.  Unfortunately the weather was overcast, so my photos aren’t up to much.  Still, you get the idea.




 
 

Then we visited several of the Love-Lock encrusted bridges of Paris.  You know the sort of thing; the lovers plight their troth by buying a lock with three keys.  They write their names on to the lock, secure it on to a railing of some sort, and then each keeps one key while the third is thrown into the Seine.  There are several bridges which are literally groaning under the weight of these love tokens.  The craze started about fifteen years ago, the modern equivalent of engraving your names inside a heart onto a tree.  I dare say the trees prefer this modern way of swearing eternal love!
 
 
 
 


 
The weather was rainy but quite warm.  I hope it will be colder during my next visit, seeing as I plan to frequent the Christmas market in the Champs Elysees!